Today was a particularly good book mail day, so I thought I’d share a few highlights:
- The High Places: Stories by Fiona McFarlane (May 10) I squealed really loud when I heard this was coming! I am a HUGE fan of her last book, The Night Guest (which has one of the most amazing covers). This will be like several little McFarlane books in one place.
- The Last Painting of Sara de Vos by Dominic Smith (April 5) This one sounded soooooo intriguing. Art! History! Forgery! YES PLEASE.
- Black Apple by Joan Crate (March 1) This one sounds like it’s going to be a heartbreaker, but early word is that it’s also really amazing. Like REALLY amazing.
- Screamin’ Jay Hawkins’ All-Time Greatest Hits by Mark Binelli (May 3) Holy cats, I am excited to read this! Hawkins was a madman, a one-of-a-kind guy, who fathered at least five dozen children all over America. To repeat my earlier expression: Holy cats.
- The Good Lieutenant by Whitney Terrell (June 7) I cannot read enough war novels, and this sounds like a really good one, about a woman lieutenant during the Iraq War.
- Paper Tigers by Damien Angelica Walters (February 29) “…a photo album inhabited by a predatory ghost…”??!? This one sounded so completely bonkers and awesome that I almost broke my finger hitting the ‘request’ button. And, bonus, it’s from Dark House Press, a Curbside Splendor imprint.
Any of these sound interesting to you?